Sunday, August 22, 2010

Roof Cake

Every kitchen project recently seems to be on impulse. This one began on a Sunday at 4 pm when I had work the next day. Fortunately, my brother can be bribed with cake to drive me home. :)


I'm the only one who calls this roof cake, because that's what it looked like to me. I wanted to make a chimney, but it was Sunday afternoon, and I only know how to do gingerbread chimneys, so we settled for flags. On them were written various silly reasons for having the cake, like the fact that the car was clean, that a certain overachiever had already finished several college application essays, etc. Since the cake was a surprise, we made the inside a surprise too, by frosting between each layer with a different color of frosting (left over from this; see comment on that post about having lots of frosting colors laying around). The picture below should give you an idea of how it was constructed; this worked much better than using upside down cake hearts, which fell apart due to a pan-greasing (or lack there of...) error....


One perk of having cake in crazy shapes is that it's hard to tell how much you've eaten, which is easy with, say, a normal round cake. And then people get to eat extra at the end so I can get pictures like the one below. No wonder Giovanni's got so many friends. :)

1 comment:

  1. This was one delicious cake! It disappeared very quickly too! Did that have something to do with Kevin???
    Nora de Nora
    Private Detective

    ReplyDelete