Monday, July 5, 2010

Blueberry Banana Muffins

Dear World,
   I know that I am crazy. I have in fact, known this for more than twenty years. You don't have to keep telling me. However, by all means, continue if you wish. I take it as a compliment.
Thanks,
   The Pteph
(Some people have been saying I'm crazy for turning on the oven to bread and muffins in 90-degree weather. How outrageous!)

Tonight's muffin experiment goes perfectly with the recent focus on adventure, for four reasons. First, I have never made muffins I was crazy about. Second, I was following a recipe only loosely and this involved severely messing with the amount of moisture in the recipe. Third, I was using frozen bananas for the first time. It was all sorts of disgusting. (I have never dealt with rock solid bananas. Then they sat in the 90-degree air and turned white as the condensation on the air froze on their peels. One thawed quickly in a bowl and was a mixture of water and mush, sort of like how rotten milk separates into layers. Another thawed too slowly and had to be run under warm water to get the peel off. It slid out of the peel like a continuous tube, interestingly seemingly to be held together in its center.) And finally, the batter looked absolutely disgusting. I took a huge risk and tasted it, hoping it would be good because only good things had been put into it. Thankfully, it was.


Blueberry Banana Muffins
~
½ c wheat germ
½ c wheat bran
½ whole wheat flour
¼ c ground flax seed
¾ c rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp cinnamon
~
2 egg whites
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice + ½ skim milk
1/3 c brown sugar
1½ – 2 mashed banana
1 c blended blueberries (blend them with the lemon juice and milk)
~
mix wet and dry until just mixed
bake at 325 for20-25 minutes or until a test comes out clean
(makes six giant muffins)
 ~
The large intestine banana (sorry):
 


P.S. Niftiness, from nutritiondata.com 
(please ignore the sodium; I'm not sure where they got 500 mg from; there's only 1/12 tsp in each muffin...)

No comments:

Post a Comment